Monday, March 22, 2010

Another sad experience and potentially lethal!

Today I had a conversation with someone I love.  There is concern about the wellness of one of her family members.  So I reached out offering any assistance I can.

I received a response to please not share anything I had heard with anyone else because the of the harm the information could do to that individual.

This is so sad to me because the negative stigma lives on.  People still think it is embarrassing or humiliating to have illness regarding mental health.

In addition to this concern it was stated that he will be fine because he is strong and loves his family.  I cringed at these words.   These words made it clear to me that though this person has been the survivor of suicide she has little knowledge of suicide prevention and intervention.  She only knows suicide from a victim's viewpoint.

People who love their families very much kill themselves all the time.  Suicide is not the opposite of love or intelligence or strength.  It is NOT a WEAK or SELFISH act.  Ugh.

Suicidal individuals do not love less they just hurt more.  They are very good, in fact experts, at dealing with their pain quietly and hiding their emotions.

Those who are not the experts in the filed of suicide or those who have no formal understanding and training, do not know how to identify risk nor do they know what is best to say or what to do to help, certainly not for the lack of caring or love.


Especially those closest to the individuals at risk are least likely to recognize and respond most effectively to warning signs for obvious reasons.  They want it to not be true , want all to be OK, want to help, and believe it will...because it is what they want so badly...they will try to convince their loved ones how many reasons they have to be ok and live happy lives.


There is so much to learn.  People need to learn more and learn how to prevent this epidemic.

I hope in this case since I have never had the chance to help assess the situation that safety is at hand.  I hope all will be OK because I can do no more than I have done.  Experts and professionals can only help those who want to help themselves.  Whether it is the person at risk, family, or simply members of society who want to be sure they are informed and prepared, everyone should be aware.  Everyone should know information and training is available.   Help is available!

1 comment:

  1. As many people nowadays, I got a rude awakening by realization that humanity is dying from malnutrition. Western world suffers from great many diseases, and most of them are either preventable, or well manageable by nutrition. Examples are fertility issues, epidemics of auto-immune diseases, and proliferating stress effects. I got lots of interesting information at https://www.nutriiq.ca/about.html

    ReplyDelete